Thursday, February 6, 2014

Some Call Me Crazy

Recently I have been getting called the following: intense, insane, crazy, unwise, stupid, weird, and even an absurd person. You may be asking yourself why I've been called these unusual, but vivid names. If you know anything about me, you know that I am in love with Dave Matthews Band. Of course, they announced their summer tour dates in January. During the first week of their dates being released, I found myself in a bit of a predicament --- "Should I travel both nights to Camden; Do I go to Hartford this year? How much money will the trip to the Gorge cost me?" As I discussed my travel plans with my fellow co-workers as well as friends and family members, I got blank stares, questionable remarks, and a bunch of blunt questions asking, "Why are you going to all those shows? Aren't they all the same? Haven't you been to enough shows anyway?" But my favorite remark of them all -- "You're crazy!" 

DMB Gathering at Irish Times, Saratoga, New York - May 2013

As I sit here and write this post, I would like to clarify something. If you think that traveling around the country spending time with your friends and family is crazy -- then yes, I am crazy. If you think that traveling around the county experiencing new places, eating new foods, and putting back a few drinks is crazy then by all means I am crazy. If you think that following around a band with a group of people who are so unbelievably kick ass and beyond kind hearted is crazy, then please put my name down on the crazy list.

But you know what -- instead of calling me crazy, let's think. Aren't there better, more vivid adjectives and adverbs to describe someone like me? I'd like to think of myself more as….

A Wanderer

I can remember the first time I heard the words Dave Matthews Band come out of someone's mouth. I was standing in the hall my freshman year of college. My friend asked me if our mutual friend, Arielle, had asked me to go see DMB in the summer. My first reaction to this was…"Who the hell is the Dave Matthews Band?" I didn't know anything about the group. I couldn't have even told you one song by them. This was 2010. 

That summer I tailgated for the first time. I was only 19, so I obviously had to hide my cheap Coors Light in a solo cup. I thought I being so sneaky. As I listened to the band play out of so many car stereos, iPods, and radios, I gazed around at the people around me. They were laughing, joking, hugging, dancing, smoking, and being, what I like to call, free. Free of worries, free of stress, and free of life in general. I was in love already. 

DMB Concert - Hershey, PA July 2010.

Being 19 in college, we obviously went for the cheapest tickets --back GA for a low price of $40.75. But we got rail…in the back GA. I was pressed so tightly up against that fence, I don't know how my body is still to this day being peeled off of it. It was so hot and the sun was in my eyes. Again -- everyone was happy, everyone was free. (See what I did there?) But for a split second, I felt that everything stopped. I heard a voice come from the stage and a man, dressed in a jeans and grey button down, welcome and thank everyone. Screams, cries, and hollering was all around me. I didn't know what was going on--- I just joined in the fun. "DAVVVVVEEEE!" That's all I knew to scream --- and if anyone knows me now, this is still what I scream at the beginning of every DMB concert I attend. 

My first set consisted of - Everyday, Pig, Stay or Leave, Big Eyed Fish, Say Goodbye, Grey Street, Gravedigger, Lying in the Hands of God, DDTW, You & Me, Recently, Corn Bread, Eh Hee, Warehouse, Stay (Wasting Time), Ants, Some Devil, So Damn Lucky, and Shake Me Like a Monkey. I am almost embarrassed to admit this but the only two songs I knew all night were Corn Bread and Shake Me Like a Monkey. I could not appreciate the amazing set they played like I would today, but I knew as Shake Me concluded that there was no turning back. I was a fan of the Dave Matthews Band




…and so began my days as a Wanderer. 

In addition to a wanderer, I would like to call myself open minded

I didn't go see the band for the rest of the summer, however, my speakers blasted DMB at all moments of the days. I would sing it in my head, at work, in the shower, and out with my friends. I can only imagine how annoying I must have been telling everyone about my new obsession. He announced a winter tour in Philly in 2010, so I traveled to the city and witnessed an amazing performance falling in love over and over again with every note that was played and with every word that echoed against my eardrum. I not only knew two songs, but all of them. Yes, I was proud of myself. The feeling that swept over me during his performance was like no other. If you've ever been to a DMB show and you are an actual fan of DMB, you know this feeling I received. I was transformed and blossoming into this young woman with new thoughts and actions. Listening to his music and songs made me want to travel, it made me want to help people…to meet new people. Was this country raised, ultra conservative becoming possibly open-minded? Indeed I was. Could one band change the way a person thought? 

…am I still crazy?

I, of course, traveled to see DMB again in Hershey when he came around in 2012. This time, I could really appreciate the art behind the band. I fell in love all over again. Farm Aid was in Hershey. I was of course there and pre-gaming at 9am. It is never too early for a beer, right? 

During this time in Hershey was when I truly became open-minded about the idea of a family outside of my own. I had recently joined twitter and this notion of a #DMBFamily was prevalent. I was meeting new people. I was tweeting people from all over the state as well as all over the country. I was meeting these people at shows. I was falling in love with everyone I was meeting due to this one hobby, this one obsession, this one band. I wanted more and more. 

Then I grew ambitious…not crazy. 

During the winter of 2012, I traveled to Charlottesville, VA with a friend to see the band. It was first out of state show! During that four hour car ride nothing but Dave played. It was relaxing, soothing, and memorable. Arriving in C-Ville, I met two of the most incredible people that I was fortunate enough to stay with and still today call my friend. During my stay in C-Ville, I experienced a breathtaking show in the pitt. I was blown away by the emotions I felt and by the movement of everyone around me. I was meeting people from all over the country -- Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and New Jersey. I could not believe that people were boarding planes for this band?! 'I don't know if I would ever take it that far,' I thought to myself, but wait…aren't I getting ready to currently look a flight for Chicago and Seattle for this summer? Never say never. :) This ambition grew inside of me. I wanted to not only be a fan, I wanted to be a fan that met these members of this amazing band. I wanted to know them, to know their town, to know their stories. Do I sound like a groupie yet?
 Yeah, this happened.
 Just my good friend, Butch Taylor.
 This was one of the most amazing embraces I have ever had in my life.
 DMBFamily 
 The Original Warehouse 
Dave's Vineyard 

After C-Ville, I traveled later that week to Maryland for their show in Baltimore, then back to Philly for their concluding show of the winter tour. Over and over again, I fell in love with the people surrounding me --- Their amazing love that they showed me and for the mind-blowing performances that we was witnessing together as a family.  

Lastly, before I bore you with anymore stories about my journey to the shows, I would call myself a traveler. 

Last summer I traveled to New York, New Jersey, and to my home venue at Hershey to experience once again this amazing band. I was blown away by the love of my new friends…some that I can even call my lifelong friends. I  have met the most amazing individuals through this band, and I feel comfortable saying that I owe the life I live now to this band. They have transformed me into an open-minded, spirit-filled, soul-searching, wanderlusting, adventurers, ambitious woman. So when people ask me why I follow this band around or why I feel safe stay with people I have only met on Twitter or once in my life, I can respond easily and state that I am going to see my family and friends. I am going to see something that brings people from all over the country together even if it is just for one night or a weekend. I am going to experience a thrill and rush that I cannot begin to describe with words. They ask me why I get so emotional talking about the band. Until I experienced #41 live for the first time, I couldn't fully answer that myself. It moved me to tears and still does every time I hear it..even if I'm just driving down the road. 
 Shannon, one of the most amazing women I know and that I am fortunate enough to call a best friend.
 Saratoga Spring, New York 
 Erica, Morgan, and Chelsea -- Camping 2013 in Saratoga Springs, NY
Amazing Ladies.
 Grace, the girl beside me, is incredible -- a truly amazing friend and soul.

Dave Matthews Band for me isn't a band…it's a way of life. I cannot wait to see you all this summer….all over the country. Find me at Saratoga, Camden, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and the Gorge…and maybe even a few in between. 

So yes, after reading this lengthy blog, you may still think that I am crazy. You may even think more so now than you did before. But let me show you why I love this band so much. Come with me to a show, watch a live performance with me, listen to a cd, anything. :) Let me introduce you to the band that changed me into the person I am today. Allow me to open your mind. 

Come jump on the crazy train… 




No comments:

Post a Comment