Monday, July 21, 2014

What All My "Skips" Have Taught Me

Recently I had decided I was going to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. My life would be less stressful and more carefree...and lavish. Definitely lavish. Basically I had become so fed up with dating men, boys, losers, jerks, self-centered, and egotistical men, that I thought about giving up on the male population. I mean what woman hasn't given this a thought a few times in her 20s? Am I right??

But after going through my head about relationships that I was just never quite satisfied with or those dates that were just down right busts, I began to realize something. I spend countless hours talking shit on all these men and bashing everything they did incorrectly in our relationship and time together that I forgot about all the positives that did come from our time spent together -- whether that was a few dates or a few years.

So as one of my best friends would say -- I've had many "Skips" in my life. (Yes, that is a John Tucker Must Die reference if you were wondering.) Why bother getting to know their names if they would just be gone in a few days...or months! I have compiled a list of life lessons and experiences that I would not change for this world. Each one that has come into my world has taught me something special and almost magical about life.

Skip #1: Teenage love is one of a kind. It loves with a fierceness and tenderness that I will experience once again. So yes, love is real and does exist.

Skip #2: Not all star athletes are great kissers...or even great at conversation. Dating boys who read books is always a better decision.

Skip #3: God is always there for you and will always be there for you. No matter what...and yes, I need reminded of this way too often.

Skip #4: Music can cure any mood and can change you. It's funny to think how much music can impact your life.

Skip #5: Family comes first and is the most important piece in life. Never forget that.

Skip #6: There is nothing more romantic than sitting in the back of a truck with a bunch of blankets watching the sun go down. Country boys know how to do it.

Skip #7: Fall in love with your best friend. Even if it's just for a day -- or two years. You won't regret it.

Skip #8: Don't ever give up on people --- no matter what.

I encourage you to write one of these lists about all the men (and women) that have walked in and then out of your life. Don't spend endless hours, like I did, thinking negatively about them when each one of them did bring something into your life that made your heart skip a beat, made you turn a shade of pink, or made you smile from the minute you woke up until you closed your eyes that night. Being bitter doesn't solve anything -- it just makes it impossible for you to see what could be in front of you right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment